Welcome to our insurance senior hires trends update, featuring interactive charts and a deeper dive into selected hires and internal moves over the previous month.
All our insurance sector hiring data covers senior level appointments, moves and promotions, sourced from TALNT, Sheffield Haworth’s proprietary AI-driven platform for tracking executive moves, which gathers and analyses data from 300+ reputable public sources around the globe.
Of the 52 senior global insurance hires tracked this month, the ones that received the most interest from our subscribers on TALNT were:
- Kevin Melton, who has joined global insurance benefits and assistance services firm International Medical Group as Global Head of IPMI (international private medical insurance) to oversee the expansion of IMG’s existing IPMI segment. Prior to this position, Melton was the Global Head of Sales and Marketing for AXA Global Healthcare. In all, he has over 30 years of insurance industry experience.
- Ciara Brady, who has been appointed the new Chief Underwriting Officer for International Casualty. Brady was previously Global Head of Liability at Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty in Zurich, and prior to that worked for Swiss Re in Zurich and Toronto for 15 years.
- Paul Tubb, who has joined international insurance broker Howden as Executive Director and head of the newly created Infrastructure Assets team, a specialist practice within Howden’s construction division. Tubb starts his new position next year, and will be responsible for providing risk management advice and comprehensive insurance solutions for operational public-private partnerships. He joins Howden from Aon, where he most recently served as executive director and PFI team lead.
- Pedro Ruano, who has been appointed Head of Claims at Generali, responsible for overseeing the firm’s claims processes at a global level. Ruano has been with Generali since 1992, most recently as Head of GC&C Iberia & LatAm.
- Owen Dacey, who has been named Head of Claims at London-based directors’ and officers’ (D&O) Managing General Agent (MGA) Rising Edge. Dacey joins the firm from AXA XL, where he most recently worked as Claims Manager and Regional Practice Leader, Management Liability.
- Peter Huber, who has joined Berlin-based full-stack digital insurance startup wefox as the company’s Chief Insurance Officer. Huber’s appointment is quite a PR coup for wefox, which was founded in 2015, as Huber joins the firm from Zurich International, where he was previously CEO. Huber has more than 20 years’ insurance experience at leading incumbent insurers, including Allianz, Swiss Re, and Zurich. The appointment follows on the heels of wefox’s $650m Series C investment round.
In addition, Lisa Wardlaw was appointed Global Head of Insurance Solutions at ICEYE, the satellite data company headquartered in Finland that provides flood monitoring data to insurers around the world. US-based Wardlaw joined the company in September. Previously she was Chief Strategic Financial Officer at Farmers New World Life, and before that she spent 11 years working for Munich Re in the US.
Global senior insurance hires, Jan 2020 – September 2021
The following chart shows the overall trend in senior global insurance hires since the beginning of 2020, which has been on a downward trajectory since June:
Global senior insurance hires by sub sector, Jan – September 2021
The following chart compares senior hiring trends between the Non-life, Life/Pensions/Health, Reinsurance, and Brokers/Intermediaries sub sectors. Here we can see some variance, with hiring up slightly in the Life/Pensions/Health and Reinsurance sub-sectors. This shows that the biggest decline by far since June has been in Non-Life:
Gender balance of senior global insurance hires, September 2021
Of the new senior appointments we tracked this month, the average global gender split was 21% women and 79% men. Broken down by region, we see that 15% of new EMEA appointments in August were women, compared with 29% of new appointments in the Americas and one third (33.3%) of appointments tracked by TALNT in AsiaPAC.
Top 10 companies with the most new appointments in September 2021
Here are the global insurance businesses who have made the most senior appointments during September:
This data was compiled by Sheffield Haworths’ new proprietary people moves platform TALNT. Click here to view our site and sign up for the latest industry moves.
For more information about the key talent trends across the Insurance sector, please contact Ben Johnson.