Senior board appointments in the global insurance industry, July 2020 – March 2021
We tracked 83 senior board appointments in the insurance industry between July 2020 and March 2021. 49% of those appointments were from within the insurance industry, but what’s really interesting is which other sectors insurers and insurtechs are hiring from. Here’s how it breaks down:
As you can see, outside of insurance, most appointees came from Consulting, followed by Banking, and then Software and Fintech. Taken together, almost a third of outside hires came from these four industry sectors.
Gender balance in new hires
It’s also worth noting that the gender balance in board appointments is better than across the industry as a whole, with 46% of board appointments being women compared with 28% for the winder industry.
Top 10 companies who have hired the most, July 2020 – March 2021
Here are the global insurance businesses who have hired the most staff in the last 10 months:
Top 10 roles global insurance firms have been hiring for, July 2020 – March 2021
Within those 10 companies who hired the most, here are the top 10 roles they’ve hired for. This gives an interesting snapshot of insurance firm’s commercial and strategic priorities from the middle of last year up to now:
Global insurance hiring trends by sub-sector, July 2020 – March 20201
Here are the hiring trends within Non-Life Insurance, Reinsurance, Life Insurance, Brokers & Intermediaries, and Insurtech:
- Non-Life has hired the most, with 403 new hires across Asia, Europe, and North America. The overall trend since Summer 2020 is upwards, though numbers peaked in February this year.
- The trend within Life, Health and Pensions is the most erratic, showing peaks and troughs since July 2020 with no obvious upward or downward trend. Across the geographies of Asia, Europe, and North America we saw 71 new hires.
- Reinsurance shows a similar trend to Non-Life, trending upwards since July 2020, but peaking in December. It total, this sub-sector has seen 150 new hires.
- Brokers & Intermediaries saw 46 new hires across Asia, Europe, and North America since July 2020. Hiring peaked in November but has been rising steadily again since January.
- Insurtech has seen 61 new hires across Asia, Europe, and North American since July 2020. Hiring peaked in January of this year and is down in February and March.
Multi-award winner Sabine VanderLinden joins Sheffield Haworth as Special Advisor to the Insurance Practice.
TALNT is Sheffield Haworth’s proprietary AI-driven platform for tracking executive moves, gathering and analysing data from 300+ public sources.
It’s real-time talent intelligence and insight for time-poor corporate managers, investors, consultants, and executives.
You can access people moves by company, sector, job function, and geography.
Best of all, it’s free to join. Stay abreast of all the major moves and trends within insurance by signing up here.