All our insurance sector hiring data covers senior level appointments, moves and promotions, sourced from TALNT, Sheffield Haworth’s proprietary AI-driven platform for tracking executive moves, which gathers and analyses data from 300+ reputable public sources around the globe.
Of the 88 senior global insurance moves tracked over the last month, the ones that received the most interest from our subscribers on TALNT were:
- Mike Wells, who will retire as CEO of Prudential in March. Although the company did not yet announce Wells’ successor, it did issue a statement saying that the next CEO of the UK insurer will be based in Asia as the company pursues a strategy of growth in Asia and Africa.
- Hafize Gaye Erkan, formerly Managing Director at BDO, who was appointed to the Board of Directors of Marsh McLennan. Ms Erkanwas previously Co-CEO of First Republic Bank, and prior to that worked for a decade at Goldman Sachs.
- Stephanie Lynch, who has joined cyber insurance provider At-Bay as the firm’s new Head of Reinsurance. Lynch is joining the company to work with reinsurers to increase capacity. She previously worked at vice president at Safety National Re, and prior to that at Arch Re.
- Melanie Beattie, who has been appointed to the newly-created role of Head of Distribution at Fidelity Life. Beattie was previously Head of Strategic Alliances at the firm a role she has only held since October. Prior to that, she was Head of Global Ecosystems at TradeWindow and Head of Strategic Partnerships at ASB Bank.
- Neil Prior, who has been appointed to the new role of Group Head of Environmental and Social Responsibility at broker firm BMS. Prior has been at BMS since 2019, when he joined as a director within global risks. Before that, he led the broking teams at Sedgwick, Marsh, and JLT, and was an underwriter of property and power business at Ace Global Markets (now Chubb), where he served as underwriting director for its Lloyd’s syndicate. Between 2015 and 2019, Prior founded and led Priority Underwriting, his own MGA and coverholder at Lloyd’s business.
- Mike Williams, who was announced as the new Managing Director of Hiscox’ Guernsey office. Williams has held several senior roles across Hiscox London Market over the last 11 years including Major Property Line Underwriter, Director of Specialty, and most recently Director of Crisis Management.
- Todd Jones, who has joined insurance brokerage platform Keystone Agency Partners as an independent board member. Jones has more than 25 years of experience in insurance and financial services and is currently CEO of QBE North America.
Global senior insurance hires, Feb 2022
The following chart shows the overall trend in senior global insurance hires since January 2021. It shows a significant drop in appointments in the first two months of this year compared with the same period last year.
Global senior insurance hires by sub sector, Feb 2021 – Feb 2022
Looking deeper at senior hiring trends by sub-sector, we can see that, contrary to the overall pattern above, the number of appointments in the Non-life sector were almost at the same level in Feb 2022 as they were for the same period in 2021. Indeed, the number of appointments in this sub sector is the highest it’s been for a year. Reinsurance appointments are back down after seeing a 12-month peak in January, while the other sub sectors remain low:
Gender balance of senior global insurance hires, Feb 2022
Of the new senior appointments we tracked last month, the average global gender split was 26% women and 74% men. EMEA saw the lowest proportion of female senior appointments at 15.4%, whereas Americas has the highest proportion, at 35.7%:
Top 10 companies with the most new appointments in Feb 2022
Here are the global insurance businesses who made the most senior appointments in February, with Prudential and Aon leading the way: