Welcome to our insurance senior hires trends update, featuring interactive charts and a deeper dive into selected hires and internal moves over the previous month.
All our insurance sector hiring data covers senior level appointments, moves and promotions, sourced from TALNT, Sheffield Haworth’s proprietary AI-driven platform for tracking executive moves, which gathers and analyses data from 300+ reputable public sources around the globe.
Of the 68 senior global insurance hires tracked this month, the ones that received the most interest from our subscribers on TALNT were:
- David Bruce, who will become new Chief Executive of Marsh Commercial in January 2022 (subject to regulatory approval). Bruce has been at Marsh Commercial for three years, where he has overseen the development of the company’s SME services and solutions. Prior to joining Marsh in 2018, Bruce was Chief Executive of Commercial Underwriting at Towergate.
- Elissa Doroff, who has been appointed Managing Director—Cyber Product Leader at Lockton. Doroff will be responsible for driving product innovation and thought leadership for cyber, tech E&O, and media liability. Doroff was previously Managing Director and Cyber Technical Leader for NFP’s management and professional lines, and prior to that headed AXA XL’s risk management services as Underwriting and Product Manager to minimize the frequency and severity of data breaches for clients.
- Akhil Chopra, who has also joined Lockton as LFS as Managing Director—Cyber Growth Leader. Chopra will be responsible for for cyber product growth, innovative technology solutions and group purchasing strategies for the private equity industry, as well as broader initiatives to bring operational efficiency to purchasing cyber insurance. As with Elissa Doroff, Chopra was also previously at NFP, where he served as Managing Director, Head of Cyber Brokerage and helped to develop the company’s overall strategy and brokerage operations.
- Simon Wood, who has joined life insurance solutions provider Resolution Life as Group Chief Financial Officer. Wood joins the firm from EY in Zurich, where he was a Partner in the EMEIA Financial Services group. Prior to that, he spent 15 years in investment banking.
- Michael Takigawa, who has been named Head of Commercial E&O for the Americas region at AXA XL Insurance. Takigawa has been with AXA XL since 2003. In his new role he will oversee the underwriting strategy and product innovation for AXA XL’s Commercial E&O business in the region.
- Dominic Veney, who has been promoted to Chief Financial Officer at Pension Insurance Corporation (PIC). Veney joined PIC in April 2018 as Chief Actuary, and he has 25 years’ experience in the UK life insurance industry, including as a partner at PwC, where he led their Life Actuarial Practice.
Global senior insurance hires, Jan 2020 – October 2021
The following chart shows the overall trend in senior global insurance hires since the beginning of 2020, which seems to be trending upwards again after a slump during the summer:
Global senior insurance hires by sub sector, Jan – October 2021
The following chart compares senior hiring trends between the Non-life, Life/Pensions/Health, Reinsurance, and Brokers/Intermediaries sub sectors. Here we can see slight rises across all sub-sectors, with the exception of Reinsurance:
Gender balance of senior global insurance hires, October 2021
Of the new senior appointments we tracked this month, the average global gender split was 34% women and 66% men. This pattern of roughly 2/3 of hires being men and 1/3 being women was remarkably consistent across all regions tracked:
Top 10 companies with the most new appointments in October 2021
Here are the global insurance businesses who have made the most senior appointments during October: